Thursday, May 5, 2011

Vitamins!

So when I went to see my family doctor (for the first time a few weeks ago) she recommended that I take a good multivitamin. In addition my vitamin D was so low she wrote a prescription to bring me back to normal levels in about 3 months! After which I can take regular supplements. She also recommended I take some iron tablets because my iron was low…Geeze…Well, I really was not super pressed to start my vitamin regime until this week until I realized that I was feeling excessively tired and it might have been connected to my vitamin deficiency…And I know that one of the signs of iron deficiency is tiredness. Then I just learnt that vitamin D does also contribute your energy levels. So I knew that since I am on a mission to be healthier I HAVE to ensure that I provide my body with the nutrients it needs. I figured that I might as well add a calcium supplement while I am at it since women are at risk for osteoporosis at a later age.

So to the drug store I went to fill my vitamin D prescription. While I was there I picked up some iron and calcium supplements. Since my doctor said that I needed a GOOD vitamin supplement I looked no further than Nutrilite Women’s Supplement Packs. My best friend and her mom (my second family) has a Quickstar business and I purchased this 30 day supply of vitamins about a year ago. Ah shame to say that ah still have about 28 of the packs left! LOL. But no more…I am a changed woman…Until tomorrow when I forget again…But today I remembered :). I am a work in progress. Anyway, please visit the site and check out the nutrition page for the women’s supplement packs. There are LOTS of other vitamins and supplements as well that has proven very effective. Check out the DOUBLE X while you are there.

I won’t lie…This healthy lifestyle thing is hard…It’s not easy to change what you have been doing for the last 30 years of your life and suddenly embrace a new way…I have been fighting the urge all week to just default to my normal, more familiar, unhealthy ways…But I somehow managed to push through…It’s hard…Even though I have managed to take myself to the gym 4 times a week, it takes so much out of me just to say I’M GOING. It’s like I have to drag myself there kicking and screaming. But once I get there and once I finish working out I FEEL GREAT. It’s the getting there that is hard! HELP! I can definitely use all the encouragement I can get!

I randomly ran across a post my cousin (god sister) had on facebook that looked like it was kinda talking about a “potion” to lose weight. So I asked what? Is there a magic potion you have!? This is what she said:

Hahaha, no potions for weight loss. I gave her a meal plan and workouts adn she gave me natural remedies to help with my hair and scalp. Here is what I sent Alana. Enjoy! And please ask any questions that you have. I used to do health/wellness nutrition consultations when working for the YMCA and Curves. So I can give ya lots of tricks. But most importantly do NOT deny your body. Just portion control and remember that too much of anything aint good. Thats all!

Breakfast
  1. Egg white Omelet with Black Beans and cream cheese, 1 slice of whole wheat toast. No butter unless its a VERY small sliver (you will learn to do without it)
  2. Egg whites, 1/4cup Black beans, add black pepper, green bell pepper, Onion, Garlic, Tomato, and saute with cooking spray, 1/2 Tbsp of Cream Cheese, Cup of Tea (No Sugar unless its sweet and low or a substitute but I still don't recommend those cuz they are just chemicals), 1/2 cup of Orange Juice.
  3. Nonfat Yogurt with 1 Banana, 1tbsp of Honey, and 1/4cup of granola, Apple on the side, 1 Cup of Tea (No Sugar unless its sweet and low or a substitute but I still don't recommend those cuz they are just chemicals), 1/2 cup of OJ
  4. Special K Cereal w/ milk - 1 cup of Cereal, 1/2 cup of milk, Apple, Banana, Grapes, or melon
  5. Egg Whites and Potatoes*do the potatoes before. Cut up any kind of potato into wedges or squares. Spray with cooking spray. Season with black pepper and salt. Bake at 485 degrees for one hour. Scramble 1 Egg White. Top with Salsa. Add a Tbsp of cheese if you like. Add a piece of fruit on the side.1 Cup of Tea (No Sugar unless its sweet and low or a substitute but I still don't recommend those cuz they are just chemicals). 1/2 cup of OJ.
Lunch
  1. Salad- Romaine lettuce or spinach, 1/4 Avocado chopped, Pineapple Chunks (U can get these from the can), 1/4 c Chic Peas, 1Tbsp of Asiago n Garlic Dressing by Maple Grove Farms of Vermont
  2. Salad- Romaine Lettuce or Spinach, 1/4c Black Beans, Chopped Cucumber, Chopped Carrots, 2 olives Chopped, Chopped Green Bell Pepper, Balsamic Vinegar, Top with Cracked Black Pepper
  3. PB Sandwich with 1Tbsp of Honey or Jelly, Apple. (Be sure to get the lowest calorie and highest fiber bread, look at all of the brands). Or just make your own (3cups of flour, 1/4c of flaxsead meal, 2 Tbsp of honey, 1 -1/4c of water, 1tsp of salt, 1 pack of active yeast. Mix all dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients. Kneed dough well. Allow to rise for an hour. Place in bowl and allow to rise again. Bake at 450 degrees for 20minutes. But check by 15min, just in case.
  4. Tuna Sandwich, apple- 1/2 can of tuna seasoned with black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chives, green onions, relish, mustard, little bit of crushed red pepper, Slice of lettuce or cucumbers on each side of bread
  5. Special K Cereal w/ 1/2c milk, Apple

 Dinner

  1.  Baked Potato, top with black beans 3 slices of low fat cheese, salsa, green onions, green bell pepper, side of salad topped with tomato, cucumbers, carrots, and balsamic vinegar
  2. Black Bean Tacos- Corn Tortillas, black beans seasoned with 2tbsp of salsa, onions, 1 slice of low fat - nonfat cheese
  3. Veggie Burger Wrap with Sweet Potato Fries. Boca Burger I think has the lowest calorie Veg. Burger. Look through all of them. Wrap in Lettuce, Tomato, Grilled Onion, Ketchup. Chop Wedges of Sweet Potato and spray with Cooking Spray. Bake for 30-45min.

 Ranom Tips:

Now you can always do the Special K diet whenever you need to get on track for a day. All that is, is eat Special K for breakfast and lunch with milk of your choice and have a piece of fruit whenever hungry. Then eat whatever you want for dinner.

If you need a snack eat Airpopped Popcorn. There are only 30 calories per 1 cup. No butter but feel free to spray with cooking spray and then add just a dash of salt. And I mean like only 1 dasht

For the balsamic vinegar that you buy, make sure that its just the original kind and it should be 0 calories. Do not add Oil to

Start reading all labels. Pay attention to the fat, protein, fiber, sodium, and sugar levels. Fat should be less than 10grams. Try to stick to 5 and below. Protein get at least 6grams of protein in all, Fiber try 4grams and up. Sodium 300 or less.

Do not deprive yourself. If you are craving a cookie have it, so next time you wont eat the entire box by yourself.

Please ask any and all questions, Ill try to think of and give you more stuff to chew on

Good luck lady! You can do it for sure for sure!!!!

Forgot, Protein Shakes are Great. I use Trader Joes Vanilla Protein Mix. Find the lowest cal/fat one that you can. And one that does not hurt the pockets too much because you are just looking to get a Protein supplement, not be a body builder or anything crazy like that. Mix 1-2Tbsp with water, Ice, Banana, Honey. Or if you want it to be more filling use a personal serving cup of yogurt with, fruit of choice, Ice, a little water, and top with Granola and honey. Talk about tasty girl.

Another tip is to measure everything that you eat. I am talking about when you pull out that special K look at the serving size, use your measuring cup and then place in bowl. Along with the milk for that meal. And when cooking measure how much oil you put into your food. Trust and believe, it is alot more than you think. Use a tsp of oil to cook with and a sliver, and I mean sliver of butter to help make sure things do not burn.

Do not avoid bread, just make your own like I listed before up above. Bread taste good and is not terrible for you, if you dont eat too much. If you choose to buy bread look at the serving size. Many times once slice is a serving. Sounds crazy but is true. Just use that one slice and add something else on the side, or wrap your lunch meat, tuna, or veggies in a large piece of Romaine Lettuce. I promise you will get full just due to the sight of all of the food.

Eat 6 times for the day. Little portions. And drink atleast 3 cups of water. 2 cups of OJ and 3 cups of tea. This will keep you flushed, skin vibrant, and not so hungry.

Try eating half of a sandwich or meal and saving the rest for about an hour later. somehow this little trick works with hunger. Because you are satisfied during that entire time.

Ok more tips later *wink*

Another follow up email after I wrote her back saying - THIS SOUNDS HARD!!

Hahahaha, its not hard girl. Dont do everything at once if you dont want to. Try step by step. Maybe use one of these meals per day.


Tea is a filler and a great cleanser. Do you not like tea? If not just drink water. If you do, start to weane yourself off the sugar. Or substitute with a teaspoon of honey and a splash of cream/milk/soymilk/almond milk. whichever type of milk you like.

Black Beans are great because they are low in fat and give plenty of protein. You will notice there is not much meat. this was when I was a veggie. And even now, I dont eat much meat. You will be amazed how much you drop by beginning to eliminate the amount of meat you eat. Dont get me wrong, I will eat a burger. Its good. I love it. But we dont need as much meat as people think. Women only need 18grams per day. How much is that in reality? 3 cups of black beans. Or 1 chicken breast. Yep, not much. Meat has the most amount of fat along with the complex carbs. So eliminate some of that and bam, you are stripping off weight. But like I said, step by step. Choose one day per week to go veggie. Your body will feel amazing, and the pounds will slip off

Fitness tips, I will have to draft for you. Dont mind, itll just take a minute cuz I have never written anything out.

One thing that you can do now is to remember that if you are sweating you are doing something.

K will write more later. hope this explains and is helpful. And please ask anything you want.

I enjoy health and nutrition because I like the way my body feels and looks. Its a lifestyle choice. In addition I dont go to the doctor because I eat well and work out. I am all about the natural way!

oooh another tip. Eat as many colors as possible. U will see the pounds slip off again and also your poop will be miraculous. fo reals. Look for one smooth C shape. And you know you are on track...
*********

It was just pure luck that I commented on a random post that had nothing to do with what I was thinking! But this is exactly what I needed. A guide of some sort…Thank you!!! If you have any tips for me, please share! Maybe we can do a healthy meal exchange.

Until next time!
Peace, Love and Blessings ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment