Thursday, June 9, 2011

My Family Picture

When I painted the picture of my family in my heart I imagined joy and laughter.

I imagined hugs and kisses.

I imagined graduations, weddings, Christmases, and New Year’s, birthdays and anniversaries.

When I painted the picture of my happy family, I painted togetherness, closeness, and love. I painted phone calls, emails, post cards and pictures.

When I painted the picture of my happy family, I painted a picture where we would all be together, longing to be together and looking forward to being together.

I painted good times and bad times, knowing that the love we share would overpower any bad time we shared.

When I painted the picture of my happy family, I painted a picture of spiritual encouragement, prayer, and brotherly kindness. I imagined that we would be like brothers and sisters in church…Loving and caring for each other.

When I painted the picture of my happy family, I imagined us knowing each others' children and being involved in their lives. I imagined them spending time with their auntie and doing fun activities together.

When I painted the picture of my happy family, I imagined that we would visit each other, and spend time in each others' family and friends.

When I painted the picture of my family, I didn’t imagine that we would go a year or more without communicating. I didn’t imagine that was normal.

I didn’t imagine that we would not attend each others' weddings. Or have no desire to attend.

I didn’t imagine we would not attend each others' graduations. Or not even say “congratulations.”

When I painted the picture of my happy family, I didn’t imagine that we would not call and check up on each other regularly.

I didn’t imagine that we would be okay living emotionally apart.

When I painted the picture of my happy family, I didn’t imagine that my nieces and nephew would not know me.

I didn’t imagine that you would not care to visit me or be with me.

I never imagined that we would be so emotionally distant.

When I painted the picture of my happy family, I never imagined how hard it would be to build relationships with my family.

I never imagined that we could not be open and honest with each other.

I never imagined that I would not be able to share with you my life, my joys, and my sorrows.

I never imagined that we would not celebrate life together.

When I imagined the picture of my happy family…I never imagined that I would have to pack away the picture in a box.

And when I placed that old family picture in a box, I never imagined that God would have given me so many new family pictures to represent every aspect of family that I have always dreamed of and imagined…

Thank you Lord for the blessing of family, friends, and the church…

No comments:

Post a Comment