Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Are You Using Your Health Insurance?

Some of us are blessed to have health insurance, either through our jobs or through the government. I decided to call my insurance provider to find out what exactly is covered and how much I would have to pay etc. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised and thought it necessary to share with you what I found. Sometimes, we don’t know what we don’t know until we actually KNOW IT. That’s the case with my health insurance. I did not know that each year I can see a nutritionist 6 times that is 100% covered! I have had insurance since January 2007 and I did not know this! I feel like I have robbed myself. I also found out that I can visit the eye doctor once a year that is also 100% covered. I might have known this but I never actively thought about going.



Sometimes we take the high road of going to the doctor only when something is wrong. But if we have the opportunity to use preventative measures that are given to us for free then why not use it!? I think my eye sight is good, but how do I not know that I could or should not be seeing clearer!? I am about to make that appointment RIGHT NOW! And oh, of course we all know that we should eat healthy, but I think I can certainly learn something from someone who was trained in that specialty. So I am making my (free) appointment to see that nutritionist right now as well!

I also found out that therapy is covered and there are no limitations with the number of visits you can take. It’s subject to the “specialty” co-pay. That’s good to know because I am a strong believer that therapy can benefit everyone, even if you think that nothing is wrong with you. We have such a stigma when it comes to taking care of our mental health. We very rarely ever think that we should do things to make it better or enhance our overall wellbeing. I for one will be utilizing that benefit this year!

My dental insurance also covers two cleanings biannually at no cost as well. I have to stay on my husband on that one, because he just does not make the time to go as regularly as he should. Oh, and don’t let me get on my soap box…But why is it that men, especially doctors, feel like they don’t need to go see the doctor for their annual visits!!??? Oh that drives me crazy! Can you imagine that he has NO medical records from a primary care doctor? Insane I tell you, insanity!

As with everything, you should check with your insurance provider to find out what is covered and what is not. I like speaking with them on the phone because sometimes the language they use on paper is not always reader friendly :). So I can ask questions and gain clarification, and I don’t have to take 3 hours to find the info online!

So to everyone who has health insurance please make sure you schedule your appointments with your family doctor, OBGYNE, eye doctor, nutritionist, and dentist! Take full advantage…you might actually have better benefits that I!

Please leave a comment if you have any more helpful information to share that would prove beneficial for others! Thanks, and live a happy healthy live!

1 comment:

  1. I am covered by the school health insurance, Aetna.. I really should call them and find out if eye exams are covered :)

    ReplyDelete