Saturday, July 21, 2012

My First Baby Class – Preparing for Postpartum


One of the things that hurts my feelings in life is that people don’t prepare you for what lies ahead…Whether its about marriage, sex, or having a baby…People are often not truthful about their experiences which in turns inhibits our ability to help minister to each other. We inadvertently deny our relationships a unique opportunity to grow closer and stronger when we hold back our experiences. Many times pride steps in the way of sharing with others…Often guised as “I am a private person…or I can’t trust anyone.” The reality is…my pride prevents me from admitting I have problems in the present. I can talk all day long about the past in some cases...But talking about it in the here and now is a differently story...As I think about post-partum and the changes that await me, I want to learn to let go of that pride…And be honest with myself and those around me. If I am suffering I want you to know…so you can help me…whether its through your prayers, or words of wisdom and encouragement. But that cannot happen if pride is in the way.

I am thankful I have found a faithful few who are willing to be open and honest with me about their life experiences especially as it pertains to life after baby. One of my sisters shared in confidence with me about her journey years ago, it has greatly helped me to have realistic expectations of what to expect…And perhaps how to not make some of the same mistakes myself. It allows me to better position myself for what lies ahead and not set myself up for failure.

Here is what most people don’t tell you…
·      50% of couples had either a severe or moderate decline in satisfaction in their relationship after the birth of the baby. Now since most of us think very highly of ourselves, we often times tend to think – that won’t happen to me. It’s the same concept of intelligent, well-educated people sleeping around without protection thinking that they wont get an STD. We think they are crazy right!? Well guess what…we are just as crazy when we are so proud to think that we cannot fall. (1 Cor 10:12 - So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!). OK, so what’s your point? Are you saying that I should just sit back and expect my marriage to fall apart since that’s the trend? Not at all…But just be prepared…mentally prepared…Right now, Jared and I are talking about practical ways we can help preserve the happiness and intimacy of our marriage. We know that we are going to be extremely tired. And once fatigue sets in, the ball is going to be dropped in many areas…Intimacy, romance, alone time, quality time, talk time all may go out the door! It’s a proven fact that fatigue decreases libido. And that in turn affects everything else. One of my (male) friends told me many years ago that it took about a year for their sex life to return to normal! So now that we have the knowledge, the next step is figuring out a way to turn that knowledge into wisdom. Practical things we have come up with so far – hire a maid, gardener, baby sitter…But even after all of that…we both know that we are going to have to FORCE ourselves to do what we need to do…Because we are just going to be too tired to want to care. That is where the help and encouragement of our friends will come in big time! At the very least, I will console myself knowing that this is normal and I am not ABNORMAL. That’s one of the biggest things I think we can do…Don’t set yourself up for a fall…Prepare for it…expect it…but hope for the best. At the end of the day you are not superwoman and he is not superman. So allow yourself to be okay with not being perfect.

·      45% of new mothers said that their first six months of motherhood was more difficult than they expected. When most of us think of babies we think about how cute they are and how perfect your family must be now that you have this new addition and what a wonderful and joyful blessing from God. What people don’t tell you is that for many mothers, they are dying inside. They are overwhelmed, they are depressed, they are not happy. And then on top of that they feel guilty for feeling unhappy because everyone (society at large) makes you believe that you are SUPPOSED to be happy. Therefore if you are not happy, something is wrong with you! Think about this question a new mother asked, “When will I LIKE my baby?” Of course many mothers will say that they love their baby…But for the first few months taking care of a newborn can be so daunting, overwhelming, taxing, and BORING that the pleasure you were expecting never arrived…at least not yet. FRIENDS, please be aware of this…And ask me honestly if I am overwhelmed, and  then if I am lying. It’s okay to not like your baby at first. Don’t think of yourself as a horrible person if this happens to you…And I will try to do the same knowing that there are many who may feel this way. My husband says, parents enjoy different stages of their child’s development…And at one point or another there comes a stage where you actually do not like your child.

·      About 85%-90% of mothers suffer from “baby blues” and about 10% will have post-partum depression. Many of the tips given to combat post-partum (apart from medication if needed) are the same tips that will help you stay sane. Here are some tips: learn to chill out, sleep when the baby sleeps, exercise, don’t expect to be perfect, plan to get plenty of help, be flexible, remember this too shall pass and the best is yet to come, and join a support group.  Such wonderful and practical advice…Now I just have to make sure it is implemented.

One of the practical tips the teacher gave today was that you don’t have visitors during the first 6 weeks of postpartum…you have helpers. Everyone who comes to your home should be there to help in some way…Whether its washing some dishes, doing a load of laundry, or picking up some food for the family. I was telling Jared, the key to using that piece of advice is allowing people to help you…And again, allowing your pride to step to the side…Because accepting helps means that you need help…And many times we don’t like to admit that we need help…Maybe its because we think it’s a sign of weakness…Or we fear being a burden to someone else. But this I must say…Don’t steal away the blessings other folks will get for their helpful spirit. Allow people to help…And identify people to ask for help. A big task for many of us!

My next task is to really sit down with myself and embrace this idea…And then look at my support circle and talk to them about practical ways they can help during that time.

So might I ask…How would you like to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment