Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I Need A Heat That Forgives


Yesterday I started to feel sad and thoughts and emotions came back in a flood. But I had to go to work…and right after work I had “ladies night.” So I didn’t have time to process until 12am when I got a chance to talk to my husband.

Tears, tears and more tears just flowed as I told him how sad I was feeling…Sad and angry with my friend who abandoned our friendship almost 3 years ago…And sad that I am perceived as this big bad wolf that people cannot talk to…To the extent where they make it wrong for me to be me. Sad that I feel misunderstood…Sad that my other friend does not really understand how I feel…JUST SAD! I didn’t know how to process these emotions…Particularly my ill feelings towards my friend.

Jared listened, as he always does…and he offered up some words of encouragement and wisdom…Of everything he said, the most important thing was that I need to forgive her. Even though she wronged me…Even though she thinks I did her wrong…Even though she may never come out and tell me that she is sorry for how she hurt me…I have to forgive her. He said that is one of the greatest life lessons we can teach our children…How to forgive others when we receive no justification inside…How to forgive like Christ forgave the people on the cross…The very people who were crucifying him…The very people who felt justified in what they did to Him…The very people whose hearts were not sorry for what they did…He forgave them…And that type of forgiveness is much harder…

I couldn’t understand why I feel so HURT…I could not understand why this type of hurt, hurts more than any other hurt I have felt in my life from someone…I could not understand why it has been easier to let go of the things my family has done and not done for me…but still be hung up on this…

And this is what I learnt from my husband (the trusty psychiatrist)…Our families take up residence in our hearts from the time we are born…We do not have a choice about it…they are just there. But our friends are the people we ALLOW into our hearts…And because we allow them space in there, it hurts more when they hurt us…That is why families can do so much hurt, yet we still remain family…connected in some sort of twisted way…But friends can be “divorced” much easier than we can divorce our families. We are often more willing to “put up” with crazy stuff we get from our families…But more often than not, we may not be as willing with friends…I never really thought about it that way…

But when I think about it now…Of ALL the people in the world who has hurt me…I NEVER, EVER, suspected in the least that she would hurt me this way…by letting go of our friendship without a fight. She was what I thought was a forever friend…A sister till the end…And I esteemed her highly…

I had forgiven her before…But forgiveness is not a one time deal (as my husband reminded me last night)…Forgiving someone can sometimes happen several times over several years…When feelings of anger and hurt resurface all of a sudden…we have to forgive all over again…Sometimes the 2nd and 3rd time is harder than the first…Other times, it’s easier.

Today I woke up feeling even more sad…I thought about all of this again and that I needed to forgive her, so I could let go.  For about three hours I played Kevin Lemar’s song – A Heat that Forgives…And I could not stop crying…Every word, every line, every thought in that song SCREAMED at me! Through my tears, I listened…over and over…again and again…tear after tear…I bowed my heart, shaking, crying, praying that I can have a heart that forgives…

Please pray with me…

I want a heart that forgives
A heart full of love
One with compassion just like Yours above
One that overcomes evil with goodness and love
Like it never happened, never holding a grudge
I want a heart that forgives that lives and lets live
One that keeps loving over and over again
One that men can’t offend
Because Your Word is within
One that loves without price, like You Lord Jesus Christ
I want a heart that loves everybody....even my enemies
I want to love like You, be like You, just like You did
I want a heart that forgives,

I want a heart that forgives!
When the ones that are closest, that I’ve known the longest, hurt me the most;
I still wanna love them just like You love me
Even though I’m hurting
I want a heart that forgives
When the pain is so deep, it’s so hard to speak, about it to anyone
Just like Your Son, I give up my right to hold it against them with hatred inside
I want a heart that loves everybody....even my enemies
I wanna love like You, be like You, just like You did
Wanna walk like You, talk like You, just like You did,
Wanna be like You, live like You, just like You did

'Cause the heart that forgives is the heart that will live
Totally free from the pain of the past
And the heart that lets go is the heart that will know so much freedom

Lord I wanna let it go
God I need to let it go
Lord its been holding me back
And I don't want it, I don't want it, I don't
I don't want it no more
I don’t know exactly what to do to get rid of it, but ah...
Here I am Lord Jesus, here I am ohh, here I am Lord Jesus...ohh
Lord I need You, I need You, I know this is me that You're talking to
This is me, this is me, this is me Lord, this is me
Lord I let it go, every person, every person that's ever hurt me
God I let it go
Every single hurt
God I let it go
Every single pain
God I let it go, I let it go, I let it go
Lord You can have it, Lord You can have it,
Lord You can have it, Lord You can have it,
You can have it now, You can have it now,
'Cause I don't want it no......more

In Jesus name, amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment