Thursday, March 31, 2011

Resilience

"We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead" 2 Cor 1:8-10

Yesterday we talked about resilience and I referred to this passage. Earlier in the passage Paul talked about how he was comforted by God and it is that comfort he uses to comfort others. That tells me that when we are faced with adversity it is always for a good reason. Because through those troubles we would be made stronger IF we make the choice to seek God and the many resources He has given to us. But Paul was not secretive about the troubles he and others experienced. He went on to say that I don’t want you to be unaware…basically, don’t be fool to think that what we experienced was easy-breezy…This was some crazy stuff, to the point where we thought we had to give up the ghost! I like that because one, he was honest about what he went through. He did not try to paint a pretty picture, disguised his hurt and sufferings. He told it as it was, but he pointed to the one who helped him through. When we go through stuff, we are going to experience an array of emotions, those emotions are normal and natural. We should not feel guilty for feeling the way we feel. Resilience comes in when even in the midst of pain, we make the “right” choice. We make a choice to turn to positive coping mechanisms. We make a choice not to drown our pains in alcohol, drugs, sex etc. Resilience does not mean that we would be happy all the time, or feel hokey-dory as we go through moments of grief, abuse, relationship problems. Resilience is our ability to be stretched, bent over backwards, and feel like we are just about to die, AND STILL be able to make it through on the other side. It might take a while, it might take weeks, months, but we know that we have a Comforter who is there for us and we choose Him instead of choosing someone else.

I also liked Paul’s boldness in sharing his struggles. But he shared it so that the brethren would be aware of the immense pain they went through, but be comforted by the fact that God brought them through. When we have concurred our trails, do we tell others? Do we use our experiences to help teach others? To help comfort others? Or do we hide our struggles because we are ashamed? Do we mask our true feelings with cliché phrases such as, “I am blessed and highly favored,” when someone asks how are you doing? Or do we take the time to share with those who love and care for you what is really going on? Do we reach out when we are hurting? And even when we are not hurting, do we reach out to help?

Paul sought the prayers of the brethren. But he was specific in his request. He told them exactly what was going on, how he felt. We are only privy to what was written, but we know that not everything is written and those two lines could have summed up a day’s worth of dialog! But he not only solicited their prayers, but he told them that their prayers were helpful. He came back to them and informed them of the progress that was made.

As I think about my own life and allowing God to use my life, my struggles, and my victories to help minister to someone else who may be going through a similar situation, I recognize that I need to be more open and honest with those in my circle. I need to not be afraid to talk about my challenges, and my victories. I need not be ashamed of what I have experienced in my life, because I went through those experiences for a reason…To not only make me stronger and wiser but to help someone else along the way.

How are you today? “Blessed…BUT let me tell you why!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment