Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Letter to a Friend

I have chosen to be your friend because of the qualities I admire in you. You have a giving spirit in everything you do. You seek to serve others behind the scenes. And you are morally upright….you don’t drink, smoke, do drugs, or engage in sexually immoral acts. Overall you are a good person!


Through our friendship we have experienced many ups and downs together…We have been witness to the highs and lows in each other’s lives. And through it all we remained each other’s cheer leaders.

I want you to know that I want to see you be the best you can be. I want to see you not only achieve your career goals, but to grow to be the child of God, God wants you to be. I don’t want to see you settle for mediocrity. I don’t want to see you give up on your passion. I don’t want to see you give up on life.

I want to see you be better than you are…and be better than you think you could be. I sometimes feel as though you don’t see how talented you are and how much you add to the lives of those you come in contact with. You are a leader because of your desire to serve others. However I have noticed your desire wax and wane with the challenges you experience in your own life. I have noticed that you found yourself in a comfort zone because it easier for you to be there…as oppose to challenge yourself and your faith and step out of your comfort zone. I have noticed that you have chosen not to get involved at your local church because for some reason you seem content simply attending church. Why? You have so much to give. God wants us to serve Him by serving others. God wants us help others. God wants us to give of yourselves…We must remember that we have a responsibility to the local church that we are a part of. We have a responsibility to help build and grow that congregation. WE have a responsibility to serve in that congregation. It is not enough to simply attend church. Be the church that you want to see.

I am saying all of this because I care about you, and I care about your soul. I know that you can be better than where you are today. I know this because I have seen you be better.

As it pertains to your career, my prayer is that you TRUST God and remember that it is because of Him that you are where you are today. I know intellectually you know this…But as you think about the next steps, let faith guide you. Do not let fear inhibit your decisions. Do not allow the devil to put our God in a box…Do not compare yourself to those who have gone before you, because they did not have the POWER that you have in God. Recognize that if you go to God in prayer, and ask all that you can ask or imagine, he will grant it to you. God can make a way even when we cannot see the way.

You are so analytical in your thinking that it’s seems hard for you to truly make a decision on faith. You base your decisions on your calculations rather than your belief that God can do what we call the impossible. You will end up limiting yourself if you limit God. Please don’t limit God. I know it’s hard when it seems that your life is hanging in the balance but don’t you know that God already got this. He has already determined your destiny…Ask God for what you want and believe He would open the door that looks permanently shut.

As you go through relationships in life, I pray that you will deal with conflict appropriately. I pray that you would stop sweeping things under the rug and deal with it as it comes along. I pray that you challenge yourself in your relationships to speak the truth in love…You have chosen to ignore something in our friendship that will eventually lead us down a road where we will no longer have a friendship. I have chosen to allow you to make the first step in restoring our friendship because I believe that if you want our friendship that you should fight for it. I believe that if our friendship is important to you that you would not turn a blind eye. It has been 5 months and I am forced to believe that you are “fine” with the way things are. You have chosen not to deal with this…but you have also chosen not to be my friend.

I recognize that the things have I have said in this letter are probably the very things that you may not like about me. My bluntness…My encouragement that seems as though I am talking down to you…And seeming like I don’t accept you for who you are. I hope that you will realize that I want for you the same thing I want for myself. I want friends who can help me be a better person…Friends who will be honest with me even if it hurts…and Friends who will support me and help push me when I can’t push myself…And friends who love me enough to challenge me to step out of my comfort zone.

Regardless of where our friendship stands, my hope is that you would be the best you can be in everything you do. I pray that you would be successful in your career, marriage, and spiritual life. And the prayer I pray for you…I pray for myself as well…Because we all need to continuously strive to be better than where we are today…

In love and peace…

No comments:

Post a Comment