Monday, July 23, 2012

A Future Goal - Marriage Ministry


OK, I am really excited because I think I might have stumbled upon something I can do in my spear time. Pre-Marital counseling!! Now anyone who knows me should know how passionate I am about marriage, and promoting the wellbeing of healthy and strong relationships in the Lord! I have often thought about getting a degree in Marriage and Family Therapy just for fun…So I could have the skill set needed to offer professional help. But then I didn’t want to take something I was naturally passionate about and turn it into a job that might cause me job stress…And then I grow weary…
But when I think about a ministry I want to cultivate in the church, hands down it’s the marriage ministry! I envision a marriage ministry with a built in support system. One where we not only have fun together and build the fellowship with each other…But also one where we learn, grow, challenge ourselves, our relationships and each other. One were we learn from each other’s mistakes and where we hold each other accountable to what God calls us to be. I imagine a marriage ministry where people are excited to participate on a regular and consistent basis. I imagine a marriage ministry where leaders are not burnt out because they are supported…I imagine a marriage ministry where people ask for help before it’s too late. I imagine a marriage ministry that makes a difference!

Anyway, back to earth…So I came across a pre-martial counseling curriculum that a lot of “clergy” people are trained in. It is called PREPARE/ENRICH. They offer one day facilitator trainings for only $175. There are professional therapists who offer this pre-marital counseling and would charge about $150 per session…And there are 6 sessions. On the other hand, if someone at your church is trained, they can offer it to the couple for free.

The PREPARE program also talks about establishing a marriage mentoring program to support pre-marital and newlywed couples for their first year of marriage. What an awesome idea!!

My prayer now is that God will lead me to a place where we can be part of a dynamic marriage ministry that would support the work we want to do…With willing participants who will help fuel the fire! This may also be a good platform for me to start my marriage blog I have been talking about for all these years!

No comments:

Post a Comment